Diocese of Joliet

Home » About Us » History - Part 6

About Us

Who We Are
Parishes
Diocesan Curia
Our History
Crest
Statistics
Diocesan Directory
Calendar of Events
 

History of the Diocese of Joliet




Looking to the Future...

On May 17, 2011, Pope Benedict named
Bishop R. Daniel Conlon, Bishop of Steubenville
and a Cincinnati native as the fifth Bishop of the
Diocese of Joliet and was installed by Francis Cardinal George
on July 14, 2011, at the Cathedral of St. Raymond Nonnatus.

In his first year in the Diocese, Bishop Conlon has worked to
re-structure and streamline the diocesan curia. To facilitate a more
efficient functioning of the offices and agencies, Bishop Conlon announced in May 2012 that all the Curia offices would be brought together in one facility located in Crest Hill. Lewis University agreed to purchase the St. Charles Borromeo Pastoral Center in Romeoville. The buildings that house the Chancery, Tribunal and Pope John Paul II House (the former bishop’s residence) in Joliet would be sold as well. The move took place in January 2014.

Discovery, change, surprise, challenge, growth and grace have all been part of the history of the Diocese of Joliet since the Gospel was first brought to this region in the 17th century. We are grateful for the heritage we share in faith; we pray for the same faith and confidence that guided our forebearers as we look with hope to the future of our local church.

Sources

  • Cathedral of St. Raymond Nonnatus Dedication Book (1955)
  • Diocese of Joliet Twenty-fifth Anniversary book (1974)
  • Diocesan 50th Anniversary Book (1999) History of the Diocese of Joliet by Rev. Richard Walsh
  • Various articles from The Joliet Catholic Explorer and Christ is our Hope