The Catholic Schools Office of the Diocese of Joliet was founded in 1949 to provide formation in the Catholic faith as well as superior academic education to students of diverse backgrounds. It was also established to support and unify the efforts of the Catholic schools within the diocese. Numerous schools have opened and closed through the years, but one thing has remained constant: there has been a strong desire in diocesan families to enrich their child's education with faith.
There are currently 7 early learning centers, 49 elementary schools, 7 high schools and 3 universities under the umbrella of the Catholic Schools Office, which operates out of the St. Charles Borromeo Pastoral Center in Romeoville, next door to Lewis University.
There have been six superintendents to date, including:
Rt. Rev. Msgr. Joseph A. Wagner (1949-1966)
Rev. Niles J. Gillen, O.Carm. (1966-1986)
Rev. David M. Franco, O.S.F.S. (1986-1988)
Sr. Jeanette Zielinski, O.S.F. (1988-1996)
Sr. Helen Jean Kormelink, O.S.B. (1996-2010)
Rev. John Belmonte, S.J. (current superintendent - appointed in 2010)